Re: [e4-dev] Orion CSS preference editor

Hi Paul,

I have tried to play with your CSS Editor but it doesn't works for me. The browser displays the content of the CSS but syntax coloring + completion doesn't work. I use Windows and my Browser is IE8.

After debugging your plugin, it seems that Orion code doesn't support IE8 (code uses JSON object, Array#forEach  which is not supported by IE8).
For your information I have done the similiar thing with https://github.com/angelozerr/CodeMirror-Eclipse It embedds CodeMirror with SWT Browser and it works with RAP too

You can find online demo at http://cmeclipse-2.opensagres.eu.cloudbees.net/codemirror You will find a CSS Editor which manages completion, folding, validation, matching bracket, close bracket, etc.
It works with IE because CodeMirror supports IE. You can change the theme of the CSS editor with Windows/Preferences -> CSS/Theme
CodeMirror Eclipse provides too a preference page to select your browser (Mozilla, WebKit).

Here conclusion about my little experience with SWT Browser/ HTML editor :

1) the JS editor used should support IE (CodeMirror supports IE).
2) <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" /> should be included in the HTML page
3) avoid using IE, it's better (IE is slow). For instance, CodeMirror Eclipse provides a preference page to select Web Browser (Mozzila, WebKit).
4) editor JS must manage fullScreen mode. CodeMirror supports fullScreen so you have not the impressions that a browser is used.

For CSS features, I think validation and completion (as you have managed) is important. After that if you can add some cool feature like folding, comments, format, matching bracket,ntext hover it should be better.

Hope my post will help you.

Regards Angelo