whenever we attempt to inject something that may or could be in the source context.

There's a related issue lurking here too with respect to an injection site with two annotations for two different ExtendedObjectSuppliers.  Do we pick a winner?  Is there some to reconcile?  I had a case, but it slips my mind now and I was able to restructure the code in an equally elegant way.

Brian.

On 15-Jul-2013, at 2:06 PM, Paul Elder <pelder@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Tom:

Can you point me to a working example? I'd like to try this out.

Paul

From:        Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        07/10/2013 11:26 AM
Subject:        [e4-dev] Designflaw in our ExtendedObjectSupplier system
Sent by:        e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

While giving a e4 workshop we discovered what I think is a big flaw in
our ExtendedObjectSupplier system making it unusable for @UIEventTopic
and @Preferences.

Suppose the following implementation:

public class MyPart {

  public void init(IEclipseContext context) {
      ListViewer v = ....
      v.addSelectionChangedListener( new .... {
             context.set(Person.class, p);
      }
  }

  @Inject
  @Optional
  public void personCreated(@UIEventTopic("person/new")Person p) {
    // ...
  }
}

public class NewPersonHandler {
   @Execute
   public void execute(IEventBroker b) {
      Person p = ...
      b.send("person/new",p);
   }
}

Things you'll observe:
a) modifying the selection will call personCreated
b) personCreated will only receive the object created in
  NewPersonHandler the selection has not changed afterwards the method
  is called but the value passed is the one written to the context

The only solution to this problem is to make the event handler look like
this:

  @Inject
  @Optional
  public void personCreated(@UIEventTopic("person/new")
@Named(akeythatsneverused) Person p) {
    // ...
  }

The reason for this wrong behavior is that the core DI system has no
ideas about the extended supplier and so it is the main source for the
look up, in case this look up succeeds because someone pushed something
exactly below this key in the context (or in the parent hierarchy) the
event receiving is broken.

I'm not yet sure what needs to be done to fix this but without this our
nice @Preference and @*EventTopic solution is unusable.

Tom