[e4-dev] 4.3 Plans / API etc

Finally ! With 4.2SR2 on its way out the door I finally  get to turn my focus back to 4.3 and the future.

First off is a big thank you to everybody involved for either helping out or at least being patient about not being as free to change e4 as I know you'd like.

This will be a discussion topic for this week's e4 meeting and everybody is welcome.

Where are we ?

I ask the question because most of the last year and a half is just a blur to me. I know we've talked about many things but I've certainly lost track of most of them. Please speak up if there are things that we've been holding off on in order to have a stable foundation for the service release(s).

My highest priority concern is to nail down the API (since I have to present it at EclipseCon...;-). We can still make changes in the API and model while getting the information together but only if we start pretty soon. This will allow us to make some of the changes we've already discussed like Parts within Parts...I'd like to get a working group together to hammer out the details (maybe we could schedule some meetings at least at the beginning ?).

I'm in the process of gathering up what we have so the first question is how would we like to do that, In a bugzilla (with related ones for each area CSS, Model, DI, services) ? In  a GoogleDoc ? Some other way ?

Where do we want to go ?

As the effort on the compatibility layer starts to subside (we're not finished but we are down to true corner cases now IMO) we should be examining how we move the whole platform forwards over time. The two main themes I'm aware of are:

- Moving the platform towards a platform agnostic approach (i.e. not so closely tied to SWT) by examining where we can add new agnostic superclasses into our current code...

- Blurring the current separation of e4 and the IDE by
   - allowing current IDE features to be used in e4 without having to bring in the whole IDE
   - allowing the IDE to host e4 implementations by loosening up some of the constraints in our current extension points / API

Are there others ?

Ah, time to have some fun :-) I really want to have some 'real' New & Noteworthy entries for M6 forwards, I'm sick of having to answer the question "What can Eclipse 4 do that 3.x couldn't?" with the word "Nothing"...split editors anyone ?

Thanks again,
Eric

Back to the top