Re: [e4-dev] Keeping code analysis in mind

I glanced through these, but most of these rules are very subjective and don't indicate technical debt in my opinion. For example the biggest source of "violations" is using underscore in field names, or non-private fields for example in our Messages classes. There might be some real problems buried in this data but there is so much noise they are hard to find. Is there somewhere we can configure these warnings?

From:        Sopot Çela <sopotcela@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:        12/12/2012 05:58 AM
Subject:        [e4-dev] Keeping code analysis in mind
Sent by:        e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi e4 committers/contributors,

I was looking at https://dev.eclipse.org/sonar/dashboard/index/10079 and wanted to propose that every now and then we keep in mind the technical debt that we accumulate while making commits. I started by opening a bug tracking the work that we do in this direction. Sonar allows you to drill down to LOC level so it's pretty easy to find critical code patterns (like catching Throwables etc).

Whether you do it in your next commit (comply to good-code-rules) or decide to do a clean up of previous code we would save ourselves trouble for later. Now that we configured the code analysis infrastructure it is time to use it.

e4-dev mailing list
e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx