Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse 4 talks and tutorials at EclipseCon

This sounds very interesting !

Currently an e4 end-user, I started to look at the model/rendering stuff for our project's needs. In fact I'm interested in reusing a workbench layout inside my own views : we need to arrange different kind of components inside a single view in the manner the e4 workbench does (with resize and drag&drop support, maybe even minimize/maximize). I'm also considering that this could be an opportunity to submit bug fixes or even enhancements to the eclipse project, but as Marc Teufel said, it is difficult to start, and my big question still is how to properly setup my local development environment to work on the eclipse codebase. On the wiki I found directions about how to fetch the sources and rebuild the eclipse deliverables from scratch (in fact running the Eclipse build process locally), which I finally managed to run succesfully after several hours. But I found nothing about how to properly setup an Eclipse workspace to start working on the Eclipse codebase, I mean something like a tutorial explaining how to get the code, setup the eclipse ide, run modified code, etc... up to submitting code. I think this would be of great help and woud encourage us (end-users and future commiters) to submit fixes/enhancements if it is easy to hack the code - test - hack the code - test - etc. So I'd like very much to see such information in the first chapters of the in-depth tutorial !

thanks,
Sun Volland