[e4-dev] Feature for Forward Compat Layer

Hi,

I've been updating yesterday the code for the forward compat layer I've
developed as part of my Model-Editor Tooling.

I'm going to give a talk about it @ EclipseCon [1] now the problem is
that installing the required bundles into an 3.x Eclipse is not really
easy because the forward compat layer is a mixture of bundles from
various e4 parts (some di, some css, some tools).

My question is whether we could probably provide a special feature (as I
understand this makes up the different categories in the p2-repo - sorry
if I'm wrong here).

Currently the forward compat layer is made up from the following bundles:
* javax.annotation
* javax.inject
* org.apache.batik.css
* org.apache.batik.util
* org.apache.batik.util.gui
* org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts
* org.eclipse.e4.core.di
* org.eclipse.e4.core.di.extensions
* org.eclipse.e4.core.services
* org.eclipse.e4.tools.compat
* org.eclipse.e4.tools.services
* org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.core
* org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt
* org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt.theme
* org.eclipse.e4.ui.di
* org.eclipse.e4.ui.services
* org.eclipse.e4.ui.widgets (see 337262 to probably remove)
* org.eclipse.emf.common (see 337256 to probably remove)
* org.w3c.css.sac
* org.w3c.dom.smil
* org.w3c.dom.svg

Having such a feature would easy adoption of the e4 programming model
and css in a 3.x world and give people a new transition path towards e4.

Does this sound reasonable?

Tom

[1]http://www.eclipsecon.org/2011/sessions/?page=sessions&id=2118

tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top