Re: [e4-dev] RFC: IDE GUI, alternative development workflow

Anton, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...

From the images I suspect that what you may be looking for is GEF (the Graphical Editing Framework) which is tuned for allowing graphical editors and the like. It's a standard part of the eclipse release train so it's already available in Helios...

E4 is a replacement for the current eclipse Platform UI and isn't specific to any one task so it's unclear how we would be involved.

Onwards,
Eric

From: Anton Stoychev <antitoxic@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/14/2011 02:13 AM
Subject: [e4-dev] RFC: IDE GUI, alternative development workflow
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
I want to ask you whether the project can incorporate a different
development workflow. Can the project set a standardtized GUI for web
development? I'm attaching a mockup (VPLdesign.png) of what the VPL
can look like.
Do you think the following system will be useful:
It should not be language specific. _javascript_ will collect the
designed database, output and logic (functions, methods, classes)
which are defined visually by dragging and dropping. I'm attaching
another file (decision_graphs.png) to illustrate how even the basic
logic can be made visually. The collected info will be used for code
generation. The code generation is preferably done by _javascript_ -
this way minimum effords should be made to integrate the GUI for a new
language. _javascript_ will read YAML files that store the mapping  -
templates for database definition, model definition, function/ethods
usage and dependancies mapping. Only the mapping should be
language-specific.

Main benefits of this approach are:
- you are not writing code, everything is more native, less errors can be made
- autocalculation of dependencies (if you dragged in a method to send
email then the email library should be included in the project)
- makes high level of abstraction more comprehendable as all the logic
and its context are on the screen

Main developer interaction is by dragging and dropping which can
create links/wires (see
http://neyric.github.com/wireit/ for
reference). The screen real estate (the workspace) is managed by
panning and similar approach as Code bubbles
(
http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/acb/codebubbles_site.htm). Method and
function parameters become slots where you can drop data.

Kind Regards,
Anton Stoychev,
Internet Engineer
[attachment "VPLdesign.png" deleted by Eric Moffatt/Ottawa/IBM] [attachment "decision_graphs.png" deleted by Eric Moffatt/Ottawa/IBM] _______________________________________________