Re: [e4-dev] API and package structure

Eric Moffatt racontait le 11/02/2011 20:22:
[snip]
> *_Lazy Consensus Warning:_**Input will be accepted to modify this list
> until March 1st, then this /_is_ / the API that we present at EclipseCon.*
>
> *NOTE:* Most of you have more experience using the base E4 API's than I
> do so please go over this list thoroughly to ensure that it includes at
> least those elements that you have need in your RCP development... Once
> we determine what's 'in' we can then decide on how to best expose the
> api (and where to put the internals).
[snip]

Hi there,

I've been wanting to reply to this thread for some time but I have my
hands more than full...  And this message is not really my reply :).
I'll double check the API you propose and get back soon.

My current understanding is that we're keeping a lot of the API
*provisional*. That's what I interpret from John's "This does not have
to be an "all or nothing" effort. I.e., we don't need to end up in 4.1
with no provisional API" and the lack of discussion about "The other
approach would be to maintain a strong separate between 3.x and 4.x
package names, by calling all 4.x packages something like
org.eclipse.platform.*." (by the way, yes, please, a different
namespace!).  So do we agree that this list does not mean "provisional"
API, just "EclipseCon API" (which is nice to get right, but not the same
deal)?

Regarding API usage, our RCP app is using the "July" release. We did not
upgrade the target mostly because we got it working and because there's
only so much purely technical stuff we can do with our client's money
(we're focussed on the functional/business side of the app...).
Switching to a more recent E4 build could trigger a lot of unexpected
surprises so we can't afford it right now. However, I'd like to do what
Brian did for his application and report all the e4 API stuff we're
using. I will do it next week because I have set some free time to
prepare the EclipseCon.

I was also thinking that it would be nice to meet different E4
contributors and discuss the API and general architecture, the good and
the less good :). Mostly about the platform ("E4 Application Platform"),
there are still some open points imo. Is anyone else interested? This
will be my first EclipseCon, so I don't know the ins and outs of
organizing this, but how about an E4 platform BoF?

Regards,

Simon

Back to the top