Re: [e4-dev] Is it possible/reasonable/supported to move deeplink/installer/utils onto R/W HTTPS GIT?

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM, David Orme
<djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have significant restrictions on our team being able to access our own
> contribution from behind a firewall that some of our members are pretty much
> forced to be behind full-time.  Specifically, we're experiencing the
> following challenges:
>
> Anonymous PServer is blocked

We only use this for the read-only repos anyway.

> Tunneling anything through SSH is totally out of the question (for good
> reason--if you can build an SSH tunnel, you can do ANYTHING).

This is unfortunate as it's the main connection protocol used by
developers for access.  But I understand their concern.

> I was wondering if it would be (a) feasable (b) acceptable to the rest of
> the E4 team for our modules to be made accessible via read/write GIT over
> HTTPS.  I understand I have to specifically ask Webmaster for this, but I
> wanted to check with you (plural) and see if this would cause anyone in the
> E4 team difficulties before I took that step.

I think that hosting the deeplink modules in git would be good on a
number of fronts.  It would allow e4 to work out some of the git
workflows, would allow us to be consumers of eGit, etc.  The 3 things
that we would have to work through:

1) As I understood it, a project has to move to git.  We would need
special permission to move just your sub-component (deleting the CVS
part is easy :-)

2) Git at the Foundation is supported over SSH (which wouldn't really
solve your problem).  I'm not sure if they support r/w over HTTPS

3) I would need a couple of people to work with me to get building
from Git.  If we can't build it, it ain't there! :-)

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster