[e4-dev] Prioritized bug list for shipping, process for updating it...

Hi, everyone.
As discussed in today's call, I've been banging on last night's build, trying to prioritize the problem areas that need to be fixed.
I've been using the polish/self hosting page to document what's left.

Please see http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/Self_Hosting for our working list.

- we have very few stop ship bugs
- we have a lot of p2 bugs. In fact, whether any of these p2 bugs feels like a blocker depends completely on your personal workflow. Many of these p2 bugs (and perhaps some p3 bugs) might prevent you from wanting to use Eclipse 4.0 SDK as your daily IDE, while someone else may not really miss the function. It's very subjective at this point. Clearly we want to fix as many of these p2 bugs as we can
- we need to focus on the things that will prevent plug-in developers from adopting and working with the 4.0 SDK. These things should be a higher priority than features that will prevent everyday end-users from adopting it.
- p2 bugs that make for a very poor first impression are listed higher than those that you may not run into on first look. Again, this is subjective.
- we can assume that p3 bugs won't get fixed unless someone can attach a patch and test case and make it a "no-brainer" to adopt the fix

I talked to Boris about how we should keep this list up to date. We've decided to ask that no one directly edit this wiki page to move priorities around, or add things. Boris and I will be maintaining this list (including removing things that get fixed once they are verified).

If there is something that you think should be on this list that is not listed, or if there is a bug that you feel should get promoted, please do the following:
- open a bug for the problem (or find the existing bug)
- cc: Boris and I on the bug
- annotate the bug to say "This bug should be a p2 (or whatever) on the priority list"

Note that I have not had a chance to look at all the open bugs, I was just trying to capture the big/obvious missing/broken things. This list will still evolve....

susan

Back to the top