Re: [e4-dev] Nullpointerexception when launching a clean e4application project

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Brian de Alwis <briandealwis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The real problem here is that the e4 application project wizard generates broken examples.  The product file should have .ds and .event.

Could the originator of the problem open a bug at
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=E4&component=UI.
The wizard doesn't contain enough plugins to launch, and you can best
describe what plugins you had to add (ds, events, make sure the
renderer plugin is available).

> On 2-Jul-2010, at 8:24 AM, Toedter, Kai wrote:
>> But in my point of view, all e4 bundles that contain an OSGI-INF with DS XMLs in it should at least declare an optional dependency to Equinox-DS. Because what just happened (NPE) will happen to thousands of other Eclipse 4.0 RCP users otherwise...
>
> There was a thread on this in p2-dev and equinox-dev in April:
>
>        http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/equinox-dev/msg06177.html
>
> The conclusion was: don't declare a dependency.  But you might be able to add some p2.inf magic to a feature to cause .ds to be started.  I haven't the faintest idea how to do this though.

If .ds is included in the product spec, I don't believe you need a
special step to start it as PDE already includes the magic when it
creates an Eclipse launch config.

But if a p2.inf is necessary, we can create one.

PW

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR