RE: [e4-dev] Workbench Model Contributions: Fragments,Snippets & Processors

Thanks Tom, as quick as always!

Kai

-----Original Message-----
From: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Schindl
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:43 AM
To: E4 Project developer mailing list
Subject: Re: [e4-dev] Workbench Model Contributions: Fragments, Snippets & Processors

Hi,

Am 21.06.10 09:13, schrieb Toedter, Kai:
> Hi All,
>
> Currently I am developing several test contributions for the e4 contacts demo. I am using the extension point "org.eclipse.e4.workbench.model" with a fragment to contribute a new part to an already existing part stack. Works fine so far ☺
>
> But to fully understand that, here are a few questions:
>
> - What is the difference between a snippet and a fragment?

Snippet is gone (well we forgot to remove it from the .exsd). The
fragment system is not restricted and you can contribute to nearly
everything.

> - What are processors for?

To programmatically contribute to the model because there are situations
you can't contribute through a fragment because the whole thing is
completely dynamic (e.g. the simple-ide creates a Menu with all
available themes to switch).

The testsuite as well as the simple-ide have examples for it.

> - What are the recommended best practices for ids, both xmi:id and elementId
>   - If a create a fragment.xmi manually, what should I use as xmi:id?

UUIDs

>   - What are xmi:ids currently used for?

They are used by the change tracking system to identify an element and
when reloading from a previous restored session

Tom