Re: [e4-dev] New Demo/Example Project "Simple e4 IDE"

The "CNF" has two major parts: 1) The common navigator (CN) itself (org.eclipse.ui.navigator), and 2) the Project Explorer (org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resources).

For the most part the CN does not use actions, except to support the client's use of actions through it's action provider extensions. So if jettisoning actions and action groups is essentially the only thing necessary for a CNF port to e4, this should be relatively straightforward (there might be some issues (use of actions) around the UI (the customize dialog and view menu) associated with the CN but those should be easy to address and can probably also be addressed in 3.7).

The project explorer is another beast, it heavily depends on actions to provide the basic support for manipulating resources and working sets, and it further depends on many actions from the workbench code. This would probably be a re-write to hook up to commands. We might want to push working sets into the base CN support. All of these things can be considered for 3.7 as well as for e4 (it would be good to have an identical code base).

Francis

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Paul Webster <pwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Bartsch, Eduard <eduard.bartsch@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> PS:  I am not a deep expert in CNF but I hope that there will be a way how to reuse or to easily migrate CNF-based 3.x code to e4-based CNF.

Just a note for everybody:  CNF uses actions and action groups which
have no equivalent in the e4 world.  The implication is that and e4
CNF would have to have its action management and action extensions
totally re-designed.

PW

--
Paul Webster