Re: [e4-dev] NLS in the e4 Model

Tom,

Why can't the item provider mechanism from EMF (which provides full i18n support) not be used here?

Kenn

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Am 12.04.10 17:50, schrieb Paul Webster:
> First let me say, the ability to NLS the workbench model is required
> as well as important :-)  AFAIK we need to implement this before we
> ship.
>
> That being said, what are the options?  Our workbench model consumes
> as well as replaces some aspects that are provided in 3.x by 1)
> programmatic contributions, that can use the eclipse NLS support and
> 2) extensions that usually are translated in the plugin.properties.
>
> So we now have an EMF model in the center of our workbench.  What is
> the EMF support for i18n?  Does it have a similar capability where an
> attribute value is %whatever and it can be directed at load time to
> .properties files?

No it hasn't anything we can use in our case.

My take on it is that NLS should not be implemented as Decorators (=the
translation is done on the fly by the Renderer) but the renderer should
render the value really stored in the UILabel#label.

I think it can work like this:
------------------------------
after having loaded the model we but before we apply the deltas, we
traverse the model and replace the label-attribute with the translation
we retrieve through a TranslationService.

I think we should remember the original value in a transient attribute
so that we can reset the value to its original translation though.

Does this make sense?

Tom

--
B e s t S o l u t i o n . a t                        EDV Systemhaus GmbH
tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO