[e4-dev] We need a mechanism to provide product-specific contributions

DI is a beautiful thing. I've just produced the initial implementation of e4's PerspectiveSwitcher.... its main features are:

- It's a self-contained DI-able class (with a separate class to have the ToolItem's contributionURI
- It's about 250 loc
- it's completely agnostic, it only uses model-side listeners and elements, no SWT so it could presumably handle perspective switching in *any* e4 target platform without change.

Now I need some way for clients to consume it...we need some place to store the URIs. That way a client that wants to use it would simply add the URI of the PS implementation to their 'features' list. If they write their own or pick/rely on another project that has a different implementation then all they need to do is to change the URI over to the one they want. Before updating the 'model tweaking' bug I figured I'd gather a few ideas since this represents a completely new way to extend an E4 application.

Comments ??

I suspect that this is a pattern that we should exploit more...simple DI-able classes whose very existence modifies/augments the behavior of the application...any other candidates that anybody can think of are more than wecome ( i'm seeing if I can refactor the DnD.code and perhaps minimize/maximize as well).

On the e4 side I'm wondering whether we should make a specific project to contain the base platform implementations (for discoverability) or, if not, where classes of this type should be placed...

Onwards,
Eric

Back to the top