[e4-dev] Search Engine for E4

As far as I understood, there is no clear understanding of what should power the searchbox on the E4 toolbar. I believe it might make sense to try and gather requirements for "search engine".

1. Search engine is not a part of the UI. There are several UI elements that may consume it (toolbar searchbox, content assist processors, "Open Resource" dialog, a lot of application-specific UIs) but it may also make sense for non-UI parts like refactoring support. It may also be great for reuse in web-based applications.
2. It should provide object agnostic API. I.e. it should not specifically search for Java elements, resources, company employees (in RCP application).
3. It should not need to rely on a workspace. RCP application may use it to search for apples, oranges, whatever.
4. It should be extensible. Default implementation of the "resource search processor" may find files based on file name - while plugin may contribute to the same search results to search by author.
5. It should have consistent and extensible query language (plain text match, camelcase, comparison), support for arbitrary attributes (author:"John Doe")
6. I should be possible to restrict search scope (i.e. based on working set, object type, "department).
7. It should also have an extensible UI part (i.e. label providers for the search results - that will work in both content assist pop-ups and searchbox).
8. It should have high-performance (i.e. it should be able to invoke "search processors" concurrently and asynchronously) while maintaining simple programming model for both extension and consumption.

Best regards,
Eugenet
Symbian Foundation Limited is a Company Limited by Guarantee and not having a Share Capital registered in England and Wales under its number 6683783 whose registered address is 1 Boundary Row, Southwark, London SE1 8HP.

Back to the top