Re: [e4-dev] Unique Id generation Proposal

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Giulio Seregni <giulio.seregni@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So if you move a part from stack A to stack B, then to stack C, it'll only
> > tell you that it used to live under A and is now under C (which is both a
> > blessing and a curse I suppose depending on how fine-grained you want things
> > to be).
>
> this work within a single session... but for every session you will get some
> more delta to save.. or not ?

An excellent question.

1. I have an application and that defines a part in stack A, and three other stacks, B, C, and D.
2. I startup the application and the recorder begins capturing changes. I now move the part to stack B.
3. I then move the part to stack C.
4. I shutdown the application.
5. The reconciler records a move of the part from stack A to C (as described in my earlier email).
6. I now restart the application and the recorder begins capturing changes again.
7. The model from 1 is loaded, the part is in stack A, and the there are three other stacks, B, C, and D.
8. The reconciler analyzes the delta and applies it, moving the stack part from A to C.
9. Now I move the part from stack C to stack D.
10. I shutdown the application.
11. The reconciler will record a single move from A to D (and _not_ A to C and from C to D).

This is because the model (or a newer version of the model) is reloaded in step 7 so ultimately all it sees is a move from A to D and no other intermediate actions. This goes back to my comment from my earlier email which notes that the ChangeRecorder only cares about the beginning and the end. In the beginning, the part was in stack A, now it's in D, that's all it cares to know.

Does this help, Giulio?

Regards,
Remy

Remy Suen