Re: [e4-dev] HandledItem Questions

Hi Tom,

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Would my proposal in the other reply give us the best of both worlds?
>
> If one has access to the command instance one uses a CommandItem else a
> ReferencedCommandItem, if you add an EOperation to acccess the command
> the framework itself doesn't even have to deal with the difference how
> the Command-Instance is retrieved.

We probably wouldn't bother with both ... if command IDs are good
enough, then that's what we'll use.

> I think that in a world made up of contributions I can't access a
> Command-EObject defined e.g. by the workbench, ... in my ModelComponent.
>
> Say I want to invoke a Command-Contributed by JDT? How would you allow
> me to invoke it in the current implementation?

This is a problem with the current implementation ... I can't load
model components unless they have the complete commands/menu items in
them, so I wasn't able to statically define the "workbench menu" while
still loading the 3.x commands into the model.  I was hoping that EMF
had a "don't resolve yet" mechanism but we didn't look into it.
Switching to IDs will definitely solve this problem, but will put more
pressure on the tooling to be able to present a list of commands
available in the system.

PW

--
Paul Webster