Re: [e4-dev] HandledItem Questions

Hi all,

Why do we need a difference between HandledMenuItem and DirectMenuItem ?
Ok, there is two different mechanisms, the first one uses a reference to the command and the second uses contribution.

But, we could merge by using URIs in both cases :
We could keep the existing URI based contribution (platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.e4.demo.contacts/org.eclipse.e4.demo.contacts.handlers.ExitHandler)
For former HandledMenuItem, we could use 'urn:command:command_id'

This approach makes it possible to provide a metamodel where the user adds by its nature and not by how it will be related to execution.
Another benefit is that we will divide by two the number of required classes in metamodel for building our toolbars and menus :-D

Regards,

Olivier