[e4-dev] e4 Model Questions and comments

Hi,

First of all bear with me but I haven't been up to date with the
EMF-Model for some time but what is the intenion of the PartDescriptor
vs Part.

If I get this right the descriptor is something one uses to contribute a
Part-Description to through ModelComponent and Part the thing that
should end up as part of our UI-Workbench-Model.

As it is now PartDescriptor extends Part and hence it is an UI-Element
which simply feels wrong and allows to use it IMHO inappropriately where
a real Part should be used (e.g. nothing stops me to add it directly to
a PartStack).

This (IMHO) incorrect extending of Part is also the problem we are
seeing in ModelComponent which has the following attributes:

PartDescriptorContainer {
   descriptor: List<PartDescriptor>
}

ModelComponent extends PartDescriptorContainer {
   children: List<UIElement>
}

So because PartDescriptor is a Part I can also contribute it through the
children-Attribute though this probably not I wanted to do.

I'm not yet saying that this is wrong but I want to question at least
how it is defined today!

Another thing we need to take care when defining EClasses in our Ecore
who derive from multiple super-classes is described in bug 304741 which
reduces the size of our domain classes tremendously simply by reordering
supertypes and removing duplicate ones.

Tom

tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top