Re: [e4-dev] Q: Uniqueness of model element ids

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Remy Suen <remysuen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The id of an MApplicationElement should not have to be unique. However, the
> 'xmi:id' attribute within the e4xmi file must be unique.

I had a chat with Oleg and I need to correct this statement.

An MApplicationElement should be unique within some scope. For a part, this might be a perspective or a window (two 'Problems' view each opened in two different windows share the same id). For a command, this would be the entire application.

There is no code that actually enforces this at the moment, i.e. the renderer will not crash if you try to render a stack that has two views with the same id. However, let me put it on the table now that I'm pretty sure no modern JVM has telepathy implemented so please don't come to me if you have two parts with the same id and the part service gives you X back when you really wanted Y.

Regards,
Remy

Remy Suen
Eclipse Platform/UI Committer