Re: [e4-dev] e4 Eclipse Application Services wiki page redux

Hi, all...

After spending the morning refactoring some of my 3.x code to deal with wizard modal contexts vs. jobs, wrapped progress monitors, and specialized status handling, I got inspired to brainstorm on what I wish those services looked like in e4. [1]

One thing that struck me when writing client code examples is that the 3.x client code can be simple when you work within the (narrow?) expected usage pattern, but once you move away from that, your code explodes in complexity. So I've tried to add multiple examples of client code to make this point.

I also think there are cases where usability suffers (poor progress feedback, for example) because we can't use the code the way we want to, and there's no way to hook in and fix the problem without copying code or abandoning the standard service altogether. I'm not sure how we can quantify the usability gains on these pages. ie, the code is no simpler than in 3.x, but it's no worse, and it supports cases that couldn't be done before. I've used a lot of words to describe these issues, maybe someone has a better presentation?

I also started writing some samples of what things might look like in an e4 world, but I don't claim to really know and am hoping that my ideas will spark further evolution.

susan

[1]
http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/EAS/Progress_Service
http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/EAS/Status_Handling