[e4-dev] notes from yesterday's call

Below are the topics we talked about yesterday during the e4 call. I basically copied what ended up on the whiteboard. If you'd like more verbose meeting notes, we need volunteers who can produce them.

Thanks!
Boris

    • Goal: ship e4 SDK in summer 2010
      • Consisting of
        • Everything in 3.6
        • + JSDT
        • + EMF Tools
        • Styled with CSS
        • Running new resources model
      • While getting rid of complex 3.x internals
      • 99% compatibility (best effort given the resources we have)
      • Be able to run 3.x workbench JUnit tests
      • At least one, better some components in the e4 SDK need to be written against only new e4 API
    • Building community is still important
    • How can we make it compelling to adopt e4?
      • Programming model: has to be comprehensive
      • Easier to program
      • Do new things
        • Compare editor with two real embedded editors?
        • New look by graphic designer using CSS
        • Replace use of UI Forms with web UI components
        • Editor toolbar in editor area
        • New "shape" to SDK
        • Same components, different shape for RCP or IDE
    • Compatibility
      • Get rid of fragment
      • Fork?
      • Deprecate presentation API in 4.0 stream?
    • Is the flexible resources work going into 3.6?
      • Szymon to look at
    • How to get components in early to find problems?
      • when is the earliest we think we can put e4 on the release train?
      • staging
        • sanity test by us
        • component owners sniff test
        • component owners full test pass
    • Do we ship two declarative toolkits, XWT and TM?

Back to the top