Re: [e4-dev] Important e4 call reminder

Hi,

Because I'm unsure whether I can attend the call tomorrow I'm sending
out this via mail.

I split the stuff into 2 parts:
* Things I commit to work on
* Things I see problem areas and I would invest time if I'd have the
  money/time

This is not meant as any cristism on the how it is implemented currently
but rather a reflection of the current code base.

Things I commit my personal time to work to:
- Reevaluated/rethink the renderer implementation
  The idea of the renderer has been part of my initial e4 prototype but
  I'd like to revisit its current implementation and focus on:

  - Replaceability: We currently really focus on to usage of SashForm
    and C/ETabFolder and I have the feeling that this is driving our
    implementions

  - Extensibility: We want Renderers to replace the current presentation
    API but as it stands now I don't think we could force someone to
    write renderes their own. We need to revisit the whole stuff and see
    where we can give people easy access to customize it.

Things I would work on if I would have time/money:
- CSS via XText: I'm a bit unhappy with how we are parsing and dealing
  with CSS today. Beside I don't want to call it CSS I simply see it as
  a DSL and well we already have EMF why not use XText to define the
  Declarative Styling Syntax we'd like to use so the whole styling is
  also backed up by an Live EMF model.
  Things we'd get for free are:
  - Editor with Content-Assistent, Syntax checking, ...
  - a live EMF model people can interface programmtically with
  - possible integration with TMF

  => As an exercise Bernd Kolb and me sat down at EclipseCon09 for an
     hour and started defining such a thing

- JFace: I'd like to reimplementation JFace-Viewers for e4 following the
  following principles:
  - Widget Toolkit neutral
    => UFaceKit already holds such viewers and it's working out great
  - Java 5
    => Use Java 5 features like Generics
  - Direct Databinding integration

- TMF: As you all already know I'm a big believer in Modeled UI (please
  don't mix this up with the Modeled Workbench) and how it would nicely
  integrate into e.g. CSS and stuff like this

- Modeled Workbench Tooling: We have this nice out of the box
  EMF-XMI-Editor but we need to give e4 developers a better tooling to
  write their e4-RCP-Applications. A "low hanging" fruit is to write a
  visual editor for the Workbench Model using EMF+GEF (whether it is GMF
  or not is not important)

- Forward Compat Layer for RCP: Strange thing but it would allow
  workbench parts written for e4 (using IEclipseContext) to run to get
  integrated in 3.x. I have not thought a lot about this but at least a
  path to explore a bit

Tom