Re: [e4-dev] Animations in e4

Hi Kirill,

We have investigated and prototyped an Animation API using the support available in some platforms. The API has been implemented (to varying degrees of completion) on WPF, Cocoa, Flex and Dojo. Currently there is no animation support on win32 and gtk. QT could be an option since it provides an animation API. GTK 3.0 may provide such an API in the future.

When it comes to animation, there are a few features that the core widgets need: alpha, transformation and bitmap effects. The platforms we have prototyped all have that support. If that kind of support is not available in the core widgets, you are restricted to animating custom draw widgets.

The prototypes are in the folders Eclipse SWT Animation and Eclipse SWT Effects  under:

        dev.eclipse.org/e4/org.eclipse.e4.swt/bundles/org.eclipse.swt.e4

Silenio and Bogdan

Kirill Grouchnikov <kirillcool@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/22/2009 06:19 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
[e4-dev] Animations in e4

Tom,

Since Trident has its own dev mailing list, and now there is (or going to be, hopefully) a discussion on the e4 dev mailing list, i would rather not fragment this thing even further by splitting some of the dialog into yet another list.

My general question about e4 is - what are the plans for animation capabilities in e4? Is this being incubated in CWT / Nebula? Is this being floated at a very generic level with no concrete discussions? Or perhaps this is being discussed in bugzilla?

Thanks
Kirill