Re: [e4-dev] [releng] Next week is 0.9 M4 week

When I created this schedule, I just thought we would redefine what kind of change is acceptable at particular points in the end-game. I.e., if we're still adding features and API during the RC period, that would be fine. I'm sure we won't have the same number of test passes as 3.x, so much of that end-game period would still be free for doing real development. Anyway, if the consensus is to change the schedule that's fine with me. We can also add a week by using the last week of July, since there is no coordination with other projects to worry about.

John

Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/08/2009 02:35 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] [releng] Next week is 0.9 M4 week

Just to clarify what I was proposing wrt schedule:

Current:

M4
06/19/2009   0.9M4 (Feature Freeze)
RC1
07/03/2009   0.9RC1
RC2
07/10/2009  0.9RC2
RC3
07/17/2009  0.9RC3
RC4
07/24/2009  0.9RC4

Proposed:
M4
07/10/2009   0.9M4 (Feature Freeze)
RC1
07/17/2009  0.9RC3
RC2
07/24/2009  0.9RC4

Boris and I discussed briefly whether we should add M5 so that M4 doesn't stretch so long.  My feeling is that for many of us we effectively just started M4 so adding another milestone is of limited value.  However, since we're not doing one week of test/fix/etc. with the milestones, I'm ok adding an M5 under the belief that adding a milestone removes nothing from our development pace.

Kevin

Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/08/2009 02:20 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] [releng] Next week is 0.9 M4 week

Great! What would you suggest as an end game approach?

A) What I proposed (take two weeks away from RC and move to M4)

B) One week only of RC at the end?
C) Hack like mad until last minute (actually, I like this one <g>)

D) Other?

Kevin

Boris Bokowski/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/08/2009 02:08 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] [releng] Next week is 0.9 M4 week

+1 on not doing the usual Eclipse end game for e4 0.9. We should be building a tech preview, not a stable product.

Boris

http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=eclipse.e4

http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/Builds

http://wiki.eclipse.