[e4-dev] Eclipse Context API Status

Hi,

I'd like to re-use the e4 context API in our project. But before I go
down that path I'd like to discuss the status of the API. The way the
integration could work is that I'd like to provide my own context
implementation. The main reason is that I'd like to prevent any context
modifications by clients. Our context will be defined through an
administration UI on a per client basis by an administrator.

I noticed that EclipseContext has a lot of hard casts to itself (from
IEclipseContext). Thus, every must extend EclipseContext but it's
internal. I wonder if a common public base class (eg.
BaseEclipseContext) should be extracted into the SPI package which
contains the minimum required contract for context implementations.

I allso noticed a few other minor things. For example:
* ContextInjectionFactory says @since 3.5 although e4 is 0.9
* Any package is exported without version information
* IEclipseContextAware says @noextend. IMHO it should be a valid use
case. Clients can implement it so why not extend?
* Should ISchedulerStrategy and ILookupStrategy be abstract classes
instead of interfaces? This might make API evolution easier.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx