[e4-dev] SWT Styling/Theming

All,

Currently we cannot style some SWT widgets/controls, like menus or table headers. If this would be important for e4 (and I consider this important for RCP4), I see several possible approaches:

a) We provide custom workbench renderers that could use internal custom SWT widgets to get the desired effect. We don't touch SWT and use internal custom SWT controls. These custom controls can only be used by the workbench renderers.
b) SWT could provide interfaces and a factories that return either the current implementation or a custom implementation that might not be as native as the first one but provides enhanced L&F customization capabilities. These implementations could be used be the workbench renderers and by end users.
c) I am not sure if this is possible, but SWT could probably enhance things like menu or table header with styling capabilities, e.g. background-color, gradient, and texture. The issue I see here is that operating systems might not provide these capabilities in their native widgets.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Kai
---

Kai Tödter

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
Architecture
CT SE 2
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 Munich, Germany
Phone: +49 89 636-41064
Fax: +49 89 636-45450
mailto: kai.toedter@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: www.siemens.com/corporate-technology

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gerhard Cromme; Managing Board: Peter Loescher, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer; Heinrich Hiesinger, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes, Juergen Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J. Sharef, Peter Y. Solmssen, Klaus Wucherer; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich; Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322

Back to the top