Re: [e4-dev] JavaScript Server

Simon Kaegi and I will (hopefully!) have some time on Thursday/Friday for this. Based on the work Simon has done so far (see http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/_javascript_ ), we would like to port our Bespin server from Java to _javascript_. We will only be porting the little glue code we have in our servlets, the code that will then call Eclipse APIs for the actual work.

As for generic listeners that can be added to Eclipse objects, I am afraid that we don't have anything "real" at that level. Part of our "Eclipse IDE in a browser" demo from a year ago was an idea of having such a generic API, with change notifications being pushed to a client through a long-polling HTTP connection. The code is still in CVS, use the attached psf file to load it into an empty workspace (Import > Team > Team Project Set ), start a new inner Eclipse, and then use Firefox to open: http://localhost:8000/e4/files/workbench.html. (The inner Eclipse will serve up that page for you.) Create some projects in the inner Eclipse and have a look at Firebug to see how changes get pushed to the web client. Note that this was all hacked together for a demo...

Not sure if this helps you at all - please ping me on IRC for more details.

Boris

(See attached file: browserDemo.psf)