[e4-dev] e4 Symposium at EclipseSummitEurope - part 1

As the Eclipse wiki is down I am sending some notes from the e4 symposium to this list.

Boris, Tom and I acted as organizers for the symposium, we had a significant attendance of 30-50 (50 when the modeling guys showed up) people.

Based on the position papers we structured the symposium in 4 blocks:
 - Evolution of RCP
 - Declarative UI
 - Architecture, Programming model
 - User Interaction, Styling

Evolution of RCP
 Kai Tödter and Tonny Madsen presented their position papers, and we had a very intense discussion about evolution vs. revolution, deprecation and best practices.
This is the wishlist for the evolution of RCP:
 - reduce complexity - deprecate api that is not a best practice anymore
 - reduce footprint (icu ...)
 - better UI customization (this has been a killer criteria in some projects - they had to choose a different technology)
 - make best practices more evident, especially when there are multiple ways of doing things
 -- monkey see / monkey do is broken, because the platform is (often/sometimes) not adopting the best practices themselves
 -- make the mail demo use agreed best practices
 - take better advantage of p2 (also provide decent tooling for it)
 - introduce authentication, authorization

A very important topic was the migration path from RCP 3.x to e4. People with an investment in RCP need a migration path and want e4 to be predictable
 - backward compatibility is crucial
 - deprecation of api that will no longer be supported must happen as soon as possible
 -- can we have tooling that helps adopters to see which parts of their apps are at risk
 -- can we establish a "communication channel" for adopters / producers based on automated tooling (e.g. "this change will bresk 348 adopters")

For e4 to be a viable platform we should needs from adopters that do not come from the tooling area better into account
 - adopters should provide examples of what they wish to do (how can they provide examples if the stuff they want is not yet working?)
 - the team should use only best practices in the new platform
 - we should have many code samples, we should strive to involve the community for getting there (e.g. hackathons)

A summary for the other blocks will follow, hopefully the wiki will be working again soon.

Jochen

###
Jochen Krause
EclipseSource
Tel:  +49 721 664 7330
Fax: +49 721 664 73329

Innoopract Informationssysteme GmbH
Stephanienstrasse 20, 76133 Karlsruhe Germany
General Manager: Jochen Krause
Registered Office: Karlsruhe, Commercial Register Mannheim HRB 107883
http://eclipsesource.com

Back to the top