Re: [e4-dev] Using cvs import in therepository/CommonBuildInfrastructure

Martin,

*If* we decide to stick with Git, the natural way to handle it would be to write a Git-aware plugin for PDE/Build. This should be very easy. A plugin for SVN exists and only contains 1 small Java file (see [1]). It produces an Ant script that employs <svn> ant command. I don't know if there are any native ant commands for Git, but via can get away with <exec>, see [2].

[1] http://svn-pde-build.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/svn-pde-build/source/trunk/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build.svn/src/java/org/eclipse/pde/build/svn/fetch/SVNFetchFactory.java?revision=56&view=markup

[2] http://tlrobinson.net/blog/2008/11/13/ant-tasks-for-git/

As a temporary measure, looking at what PDE/Build does when fetching from CVS, it seems that git-cvsserver should be enough for it. The only thing is that you'll have to change maps to specify branch-relative path, and it would not be possible to build from tag unless you create a branch from that tag.

But, this all assumes we have already decided on Git, which we have not. So maybe we should actually go forward with your suggestion.

(I have realized that it might not be that hard to combine the history of e3 and e4 after the fact, even if cvsps produces incompatible history from e3 and e4 repositories. And it *will* actually produce incompatible history, given that you are only copying a subset of plugins into e4 CVS repository as far as I understand. Still, with a certain amount of Git-fu this can be handled.)