Re: [e4-dev] Declarative UI

Hi Kevin,

If I understand your comment, you say "Abstract Model or Real Model?"
When I say Abstract Model I mean XAML, XUL like and when I say Real Model I mean XSWT
which use if I understood reflection to use native SWT widget.

Here my IMHO about that :

Pro Real Model (XSWT)

* It use the same XML Markup name that SWT (Text, Label...).
* When SWT API is improved, we can use the new feature (if we use reflection).
* Extensible widget seems more easy to implement I think.

Pro Abstract Model (XAML, XUL..)

* Can extends to any XML Markup. So we can use XAML, XHTML, XUL. I'm J2EE developer
  and I find it's helpfull to decribe UI with XML Markup that I know (like XHTML, XUL...)
  (Akrogen  where you can describe UI with XUL please to people, because you can write XUL UI,
  test it into Firefox and use it into Akrogen which interpret the XUL to SWT).

* Is not linked to renderer. Kevin I know that your goal is SWT but if we have another renderer like VE, Java2d
  I think it will be very cool to use the same Declarative UI and render it into Java2d, SWT, SWT Forms...

  If you want use SWT Forms, how can you take the difference between SWT and SWT Forms widgets creation?

I think that extensibility is very important too :

* Add your own XML Markup to manage another thing that render widgets. For instance I have done that into Akrogen
  where you can add XML Markup <template> to XUL description to add template (Freemarker, to use) to generate code
  when Finish button of wizard is clicked.

* Add your own XML Markup to manage another widgets.

Regards Angelo