[dtp-sqldevtools-dev] SQL Development Tools sub-project co-lead meeting, May 13, 2008

Hung Hsi (Sybase) and Brian Payton (IBM), co-leads of the DTP SQL Development Tools sub-project, met via telecon on May 13, 2008 to discuss sub-project issues.  Here are some notes from the meeting.

** MANIFEST.MF update for Bundle-ActivationPolicy **

Hung said a member of the Sybase team will update the plugins for the SQL Development Tools project.  (This has been completed.)

** Various Bugzilla bugs **

We discussed various bugs in the SQL Dev Tools area in Bugzilla:
- Dafan (Sybase) is investigating bug 227523, which is an I18N (Internationalization) issue
- Linda Chan (Actuate) mentioned a while back that from her perspective, one of the biggest problems with the SQL  Query Builder, when it is launched as a dialog, is that running a query displays the results both in the dialog and the SQL Results view in the IDE.  Hung said that API was added to SQL Results view to deal with this issue, but it has never been used, so it's not clear if it works.  Hung and Brian did a quick scan of the bugs in bugzilla, but didn't find an open bug for this problem.  (Brian checked more thoroughly later, and still didn't find a bug.  He will ask Linda to open one so we can track the problem.)  Hung felt that it's probably too late in Ganymede to resolve this issue, but we could probably do it in a fixpack following Ganymede availability.

** Overriding or hiding the DTP SQL Editor **

Brian said that the way the DTP SQL Editor makes itself the default editor associated with .sql and .ddl files causes problems in IBM products built on DTP, since IBM has its own SQL editor implementation.  He asked if we can change the DTP SQL editor to not declare itself the default editor.  Hung said that Sybase replaces the DTP SQL editor with its own editor in Sybase products in a similar way.  He will send Brian information on how to replace the DTP SQL editor by the end of the week.

Brian Payton
SQL and XML Query Tools Development
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
(408) 463-2989, T/L 8-543-2989