[dtp-pmc] Re: [dtp-dev] Recommended builds?

David, PMC:

integration build schedule for DTP on the wiki:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/DTP_Europa_Build_Schedule

Please review and let me know if this is ok with everyone. Essentially, we
are planning bi-weekly integration builds on Mondays, with the final one
for each milestone being the Monday before DTP, as a "+1" Europa
dependency, is required to declare a Europa milestone/release candidate
build.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.
http://dataplat.blogspot.com/

             David M Williams
             <david_williams@u
             s.ibm.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  DTP development mailing list
             dtp-dev-bounces@e         <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/06/2007 05:18          Re: [dtp-dev] Recommended builds?
             PM

             Please respond to
              DTP development
               mailing list
             <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

> For your case, are you looking for more frequent builds (say, weekly)
that
> have been generally smoke tested on the target platform?

Yes, that's pretty much it. In all honesty, we probably do not literally
need
them "weekly" ... bi-weekly would probably suffice. It is not so much to
pick up
some new function or bug fixes (for that we could almost always wait for a
milestone),
but it's just to have some "steady progression" towards our milestone. As
we near it,
we like to update to "the latest" of our pre-req projects, just to make
sure there's no
odd surprises or bugs.

The other considertation is retention ... I don't know how long you leave
up a nightly build,
but if we switch to such a build, we (and our clients) pretty much need it
to stay around
until the next milestone. That's why we (in WTP) have weekly I-builds ...
we feel fine about
leaving all those around until out next milestone is produced. (but we
could not leave all of
our "nightly" builds, there's just be too many).

 jograham@xxxxxxxxxx
 Sent by:
 dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                            To
                                                DTP development mailing
                                                list <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 02/06/2007 04:51 PM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
          Please respond to                     Re: [dtp-dev] Recommended
    DTP development mailing list                builds?
        <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

David,

DTP has used a number of types of builds in the past (nightly, integration,
iteration, stable, etc.) and for DTP 1.5 we're trying to adjust according
to adopter needs. One thing we're aiming for is an "integration" build as
soon as possible after platform milestones (see "Release Milestones" in
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/DTP_1.5_Project_Plan for details).

For your case, are you looking for more frequent builds (say, weekly) that
have been generally smoke tested on the target platform? If so, then the
nightly builds aren't a bad place to start (we don't post builds if they
are seriously broken), though testing coverage varies depending upon
committer availability. We'd be happy to add a weekly integration build
(where "integration" means fairly well tested over a 24 period with the
latest integration builds of our dependencies), if that would help your
project. Please let us know your thoughts.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.
http://dataplat.blogspot.com/

            David M Williams
            <david_williams@u
            s.ibm.com>                                                 To
            Sent by:                  dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
            dtp-dev-bounces@e                                          cc
            clipse.org
                                                                  Subject
                                      [dtp-dev] Recommended builds?
            02/06/2007 04:20
            PM

            Please respond to
             DTP development
              mailing list
            <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                  org>

I thought I'd ask here, in case I'm missing something, but does DTP not
have weekly "Integration Builds" (toward your 1.5).

What's a consuming project to do? Just pick up the latest nightly?  Or, are
they there somewhere, and just not on
http://www.eclipse.org/datatools/downloads.html

Thanks for any advice.