[dtp-pmc] DTP: Callisto synchronization schedule

In today's Callisto planning meeting, the gap in project synchronization
was discussed. Originally Callisto intended to start with a one week gap
from platform milestones for DTP (and several other projects), and a two
week gap for second tier dependent projects (such as WTP, BIRT, TPTP). The
idea was to decrease this gap down to same day synchronization at some
point, originally estimated to be this Friday, 4/14. In planning council
discussions today, it quickly became apparent that same-day synchronization
staring this Friday is far too aggressive, and will not happen. It was
decided to shrink the gap down to a half week for projects including DTP
(EMF, GEF, others...) and a full week for the second tier. Thus, when the
platform milestone is released on this Friday, it will be expected that DTP
has a corresponding build by next Wednesday (4/12). We will continue with
this new gap for a while (waiting for the meeting minutes to make sure I
have the right end date here....), and then proceed to increasingly shorter
gaps as the final Eclipse 3.2 release approaches. In general, the
difficulty of obtaining, building against, and testing with daily (or even
every other day) builds was noted. It is likely that, as the gap decreases,
projects will simply take existing builds, test on the new stack, and
declare readiness if no substantial defects are found.

The planning council also wanted to reiterate to all adopters that this is
the first time to try a synchronized release within eclipse.org, and hence
some fluidity is expected going forward regarding synchronization dates and
policies. They ask that we work with our adopter communities to set
expectations accordingly.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair