[dtp-pmc] Jarring DTP: Plan and instructions

As we discussed in the team meeting today, Callisto requests that DTP jar
its plug-ins for the 4/7 drop. We need to assess whether all of the DTP
plug-ins should be jarred (there are some types of plug-ins that can not
be, and others that are recommended not to be), and whether we can complete
this work by 4/7. If we can not complete the entire jarring process by 4/7,
we'll need to advise Callisto of our plan. Note random plug-in breakage
when jarred, so we'll need to have enough lead time to test thoroughly
before releasing to the Callisto stream.

I've created the attached instructions based on the platform documentation
and my experiment this morning. As I mentioned in the team meeting, here's
the main points from my test:

1. The content providers for the DSE did not load for both the Derby and
Generic connection profiles. No stack traces or other information found.
Larry indicated that this might have to do with restrictions on jarring the
sqm.* plug-ins.
2. I could not jar the ODA plug-ins because their base contains multiple
libraries. As Linda mentioned on the call, this likely means that they will
need to be refactored before they are jarred.
3. Jarring the sqltools.parsers.sql and sqltools.parsers.lexer plug-ins
will not be efficient because of the embedded lpg.jar. As we discussed on
the call, this could be fixed by creating a wrapper plug-in for lpg.jar
(which would also allow others to reuse it as well).
4 Minor errors, such as certain icons not loading in the SQL editor, were
noted as well.

Over all, this seems pretty positive, but we really will not be able to
test completely until the content providers issue is cleared up.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.