[dtp-pmc] Build-Test-Declare Cycle for M5

In the PMC meeting last week and the team lead/PMC meeting this week, we
talked about putting a build-test-declare cycle for DTP milestones. As we
move forward from M5 (which is our RC0) to the eventual DTP 0.7 release,
the ability to test and manage bugs will be critical during this endgame
phase. I'd like to propose the following process for use up to M5, and
collect feedback on this thread.

> M5 (RC0) is on 2/24. This is effectively the feature freeze for DTP 0.7.
>From 2/24 to the DTP 0.7 release, as many release candidates as necessary
will be created (only one, RC1, is currently planned). Effort during the
release candidate phase is concentrated on testing (including adding
unit/other tests), documentation, and bug fixes. Requests to add new
features during this time frame need to be sent to dtp-pmc and approved
before any feature code is delivered to CVS.

> Starting next week (1/30), two DTP builds will be posted per week, one on
Wednesday and one on Friday.
> Starting the week of 2/13, daily DTP builds will be posted.

These builds will not be smoke-tested before posting on the download site,
but rather allow the community to test the state of DTP going toward M5.

> All code for M5 needs to be checked in by midnight (PST) on 2/22
(Wednesday). On 2/23 a build will be posted on the download for
consideration as M5.
> From 2/23 to 2/24 we test the build and report bugs into Bugzilla as
usual. On 2/24 (Friday) at 3PM EST, I will ask dtp-dev if M5 can be
declared. If anyone has found bugs that they believe need to be fixed
before milestone declaration, discussion will happen on dtp-dev. The PMC
will make a decision about milestone declaration at 6PM (EST) the same day.

Thoughts?

John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC
Staff Software Engineer