[dtp-pmc] Initial thoughts about API for versions 0.7 and 1.0

It's time that we started to think about some initial API declarations for
DTP 0.7 and 1.0. By the Eclipse process, we can not just declare "official"
API; rather, we need to make a statement of provisional API, refine them
over the period between a release(s), and then finalize them under review
in a later release. As part of the Callisto requirements, we should make
this initial statement by 2/24. Over the next few days, I will be reading
about the Eclipse API process and talking to the EMO to clarify points. I
will communicate the precise format/other requirements for this initial
declaration to this group as soon as I have the necessary information.

Here's a couple of links relevant to API issues:

"Eclipse Quality" statement:
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/eclipse-quality.php
EclipseCon05 presentation by Jim des Rivieres:
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2005/presentations/EclipseCon2005_12.2APIFirst.pdf

We'd like to collect any experience/suggestions people have around API
issues here and ask that project leads begin to prepare these materials so
we can meet the 2/24 deadline.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC