[dtp-pmc] DTP PMC Meeting Minutes for 9/7

Attendees
----------------
John
Linda

Minutes
-----------
> Reviewed the project plans being created by each DTP project team. While
initial impressions are that these plans align closely with the current
high-level DTP plan, more detail is needed in certain areas. The PMC will
be working with the project teams to gather this detail in the coming
weeks.

> Eclipse release train timing: According to the working plan for the
Eclipse 3.2 release train ('zebra'), DTP is supposed to have milestone
builds available one week after Eclipse 3.2 milestones. Due to schedule
compression, this means that DTP has to synchronize on the same day as EMF
and GEF. Since DTP currently has a dependency on EMF and likely will on GEF
before the first version is released, this exposes DTP to risk if the
integration with EMF and GEF can not be handled quickly. The PMC decided to
gather further information about the likelihood of problems in this area
from project teams, to monitor the first synchronized release, and to bring
any problems found up in the December Eclipse Council meetings for
discussion.

> DTP build version: In order to participate in the Eclipse 3.2 release
train, DTP is obligated to run with Eclipse 3.2 releases, including any
dependencies (EMF, GEF). There is a disconnect, however, since companies
will be building on DTP based on Eclipse 3.1, and can not be expected to
adjust product plans to the release train, especially on such short notice.
The solution proposed by the PMC is to build DTP through V1 on Eclipse 3.1,
and test to certify on Eclipse 3.2. That is, DTP will be "tolerated" in
Eclipse 3.2, but will not "exploit" 3.2 features. The way to insure that
3.2 features are not accidentally added to the code line is to require that
DTP is built using Eclipse 3.1, and tested (also) on Eclipse 3.2. If it
later transpires that certain Eclipse 3.2 features are absolutely required
by DTP, or it is impossible/impractical to resolve Eclipse 3.1/3.2
migration issues within one code line, DTP will then consider producing one
build for each Eclipse version.

> The PMC discussed how to test DTP milestone/release candidates. While the
expectation is that regular stream builds will be picked up and tested by
DTP committers and the community, we still need to be sure of test coverage
and completeness. The PMC will send an email to dtp-pmc, dtp-dev, and other
sources asking for input on this testing process, and attempt to create a
plan within the next couple of weeks.

> During the review of the project plans, stabilization milestones were
suggested. Rather than releasing features into the last milestone and then
trying to stabilize on that base, the suggestion is that further milestones
(perhaps relatively close to each other) concentrating only on bug fixes be
added. The PMC agrees that this is desirable, and will work with the
project teams to schedule such stabilization milestones.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse DTP PMC

Back to the top