Re: [dtp-pmc] Eclipse Council Notes

Thanks for the helpful summary John...

...Anthony

Anthony J. Ciccone
Sr. Manager, Information Management Tooling
Silicon Valley Laboratory
Phone:  (408) 463-2052
email:  ajciccon@xxxxxxxxxx
notes:  Anthony J Ciccone/Silicon Valley/IBM

Administrative assistant:  Sylvia Zuniga
Phone:  (408) 463-2634

             jograham@sybase.c
             om
             dtp-pmc-bounces@e         dtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/26/2005 02:34          [dtp-pmc] Eclipse Council Notes
             PM

             Please respond to
              DTP PMC mailing
                   list

Some items from the recent Eclipse Council meeting that will be of interest
to DTP:

> DTP is being asked to participate in the "Eclipse release train" (code
name: "zebra") synchronizing around the Eclipse 3.2 release next June.
There are a number of implications in doing so:

    >> Based on a dependency diagram of projects, DTP ends up being in the
second tier, a sibling to EMF and GEF.
    >> Second-tier components are expected to synchronize one week after
Eclipse milestones, until the 3.2 endgame, during which the time will
compress to hours.
    >> DTP is expect to "get on the train" at the Eclipse M3 milestone --
this means DTP M1 on Nov. 11th
    >> Each Eclipse milestone after that would be followed by a DTP synch
point one week later. Eclipse M4 on Dec. 16 means DTP M2 on Dec. 23.

** Note that we were planning two milestone releases in 5Q4 anyway, so this
just gives us dates. Because of dependencies, however, it also means that
our flexibility is limited. **

    >> Additional dates into 2006 for Eclipse 3.2 will be added to the
Eclipse Platform Project Plan
(http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_project_plan_3_2.html)
later
    >> At some point before EclipseCon, we could do a 0.N release of DTP
    >> From EclipseCon to Eclipse 3.2 release, we then would on API
definition/stability, though API used heavily be other projects on the
train would need to be settled by mid-February
    >> DTP 1.0 would be released at the same time as Eclipse 3.2 in June
2006

** Note that this means all DTP development being done on current Eclipse
3.2 milestone builds and the associated EMF, etc. components. **

Question: I am curious about backward support to Eclipse 3.1. Do we think
it is feasible to work on 3.2, but not use new features, thus enabling
consumers wanting to use DTP 0.N to do so with Eclipse 3.1?

> DTP is being asked to adopt ICU4J to get rich internationalization and
localization support.