From:        "Eutsler, Charles" <Charles.Eutsler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        12/06/2011 02:36 PM
Subject:        [dtp-dev] Testing an extended interface
Sent by:        dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I have made a fix for BZ 171718. The problem is that a user-defined function’s specific name needs to be used to resolve which UDF is referenced when multiple UDFs have the same name.

The fix involves a new interface that extends an existing one (org.eclipse.datatools.sqltools.core.ProcIdentifier in the o.e.d.s.editor.core plug-in) to add a method to get the routine’s specific name and having ProcIdentifierImpl implement the new interface. The ModelUtil. findProceduralObjectFromSchema method checks to see if the ProcIdentifier it’s looking at is an instance of the extended interface and, if so, includes the specific name in its search for the desired procedure.

As far as I can tell, this won’t break any vendors’ implementations of the feature. But, being new to being a committer here in DTP-land, I want to know if there is anything I can do to test the change against other vendors’ uses of the changed classes.

I looked at IBM’s Data Studio and they seem to have solved the problem in their own code somehow. Oracle’s Enterprise Pack for Eclipse but Oracle (at least the version I tried) doesn’t support specific names so my change shouldn’t affect them. Derby doesn’t support specific names, either.

So, before I hit that Commit button, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to go about getting a bit more confidence that I’m not going to break things.

--Charles