From: dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Linda Chan
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 3:49 PM
To: DTP development mailing list
Subject: [dtp-dev] DTP Migration from CVS to Git

To all DTP committers,

Now that the Indigo release is done, the DTP project is planning to migrate our source repository from Eclipse CVS to Git.  This is in line with the overall direction of Eclipse projects.  We also want to take the opportunity to refine the source organization and clean up obsolete plugins, as part of the migration.

Below are some high lights of the migration plan.  Please review and let us know of any concerns by end of this week.  If there are no show-stoppers, we are looking at proceeding with the migration in another week or so.  Detail time line will be determined and sent out after this review period.

1.   We are essentially migrating the DTP CVS Head branch to Git, and it will include the history in CVS.  If there is ever a need to build DTP 1.9 or older version, it should still grab the source from corresponding CVS branches.
      New builds (DTP 1.9.1 and on)  will be built from Git.  (We are not currently doing any nightly build for 1.9.1 [the Indigo SR1 release].  It  will resume when the Git migration is completed.)

2.   Separate Git repositories will be created for DTP sub-projects.  The main guideline used for the repo separation is to group those highly-related projects that are likely maintained by the same set of committers.
      Below are the summary list of separate DTP Git repos.  See the attached spreadsheet for the proposed directory structure and content in each repo.  Note that obsolete or archived plugin projects will not be migrated, and are thus not included in the Git repos.

      Separate Git source repos for sub-projects and enablement:
       - org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.git
       - org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.git
       - org.eclipse.datatools.sqltools.git
       - org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.<vendor>.git
            where <vendor> are:   hsqldb, ibm, ingres, msft, mysql, oda, oracle, postgresql, sap, sqlite, sybase
       - org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.general.git   (contains non-vendor specific enablement plugin projects:)
       - org.eclipse.datatools.incubator.git

      Each of the above source repos contain the following sub-folders, if content exists:
       plugins/  : contains source plugin projects
       releng/   : contains map file of the source plugin projects
       tests/    : contains unit test plugins
       examples/ : exemplary implementation projects

      Additional separate Git repos for non-source projects:
      - org.eclipse.datatools.build.git
      - org.eclipse.datatools.doc.git
      - org.eclipse.datatools.nl.git

Linda and DTP PMC