Re: [dtp-dev] Cross-subproject component needed in bugzilla

Larry,

Your points, as well as David's below, make sense. I'll create a
"datatools" component in BZ for this.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.
http://osmusings.blogspot.com/
http://dataplat.blogspot.com/

             Lawrence E
             Dunnell
             <ledunnel@xxxxxx.                                          To
             com>                      DTP development mailing list
             Sent by:                  <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             dtp-dev-bounces@e                                          cc
             clipse.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [dtp-dev] Cross-subproject
             01/25/2008 04:02          component needed in bugzilla
             PM

             Please respond to
              DTP development
               mailing list
             <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

John,

I would like to open a defect proposing a change to the layout of the
preference page nodes.  This defect affects both sqltools and connectivity
now but could impact any other sub-projects with plans for preference
pages.  I would like to open a defect in a DTP-wide component for the
purpose of discussion and review.  I could then open individual defects for
each sub-project with actual work items that might come out of the
discussion.  The general defect would then depend on the individual
defects.  When the individual defects are closed then the general defect
would be closed.  People could add themselves on the CC list for either the
general defect if they only care about when the whole item is done or the
individual sub-project defects if they are interested in those
specifically.

The component could be used for any DTP wide issues where multiple
sub-projects could be involved including general work items.  In WTP, we
used such a category and process for handling copyright notice updates and
Bugzilla defect clean-up.  It could be used to track any cross-project work
item resulting from the PMC or team lead meetings.  The recent database
support testing could have been tracked this way.

Larry Dunnell
DB2 Tooling, RAD Data Tools and Eclipse Data Tools Project (DTP)
IBM DB2 Information Management Software