[dtp-dev] DTP 1.6M5 bug resolution trend

Since we announced the dates for the DTP 1.6M5 sign-off (
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dtp-dev/msg01486.html) on a daily
basis I've been tracking the (total) number of bugs resolved and those
still open for M5.

A snapshot:

Mon (1/21): 26 bugs open with 12 working days left, giving a bug density*
of 2.17. Resolved bugs for DTP 1.6 in total: 113.
Fri (today): 20 bugs open with 8 working days left, giving a bug density of
2.5. Resolved bugs for DTP 1.6 in total: 126.

So, while 13 bugs have been resolved this week, the actual bug density has
risen due to new bugs assigned into the M5 scope. Of the open DTP 1,6M5
bugs, 1 is "critical," 4 are "major," 7 are "enhancements," and the rest
"normal."

As we approach the M5 candidate build date on 2/6 (W), there are two
scenarios I'd like to avoid:

1. Mass reassignment of M5 bugs to later milestones at the last minute:
This might not give DTP adopters depending on certain bugs time to react to
the postponement.
2. Mass last minute commits to resolve bugs: The concern here is
introduction of destabilization and little time to address such issues
before Ganymede M5.

Therefore, I'd like to ask all DTP committers working on target M5 items to
either postpone or resolve these items as soon as possible.

* bug density: the number of bugs that have to be resolved each day to
reach zero by the deadline.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair