[dtp-dev] column definitions with suffix

Title: column definitions with suffix

Hi DTP-team,

we are currently facing the following issue:

Some database, namely "DB2 UDB iSeries",  "DB2 UDB" and  "DB2 UDB zSeries", have database definitions that contain column definitions with a suffix (e.g. CHAR () FOR BIT DATA).

examples:

DB2 UDB:

<predefinedDataTypeDefinitions xmi:id="BINARY_1" lengthSupported="true"  defaultLength="1" displayNameSupported="true" displayName="CHAR ({0}) FOR BIT DATA" keyConstraintSupported="true" maximumLength="254" primitiveType="BINARY" jdbcEnumType="-2" javaClassName="byte[]">

    <defaultValueTypes>NULL</defaultValueTypes>
    <name>CHAR FOR BIT DATA</name>
    <name>CHARACTER FOR BIT DATA</name>
    <name>CHAR () FOR BIT DATA</name>         <-------
    <name>CHARACTER () FOR BIT DATA</name>    <-------
  </predefinedDataTypeDefinitions>

DB2 UDB zSeries:

  <predefinedDataTypeDefinitions xmi:id="BINARY_VARYING_1" lengthSupported="true" defaultLength="1" keyConstraintSupported="true" primitiveType="BINARY_VARYING" jdbcEnumType="-3" javaClassName="byte[]">

    <defaultValueTypes>NULL</defaultValueTypes>
    <name>VARCHAR () FOR BIT DATA</name>              <-------
    <name>CHARACTER VARYING () FOR BIT DATA</name>    <-------
    <name>CHAR VARYING () FOR BIT DATA</name>         <-------
  </predefinedDataTypeDefinitions>

These databases don't provide a platform-specific DDL generator. If you trigger DDL generation (on the context menu of the datasource explorer) the GenericDDLGenerator is used. It renders

"VARCHAR () FOR BIT DATA (<length>)" instead of  "VARCHAR (<length>) FOR BIT DATA",

for binary types, which is not understood by the database.

We are currently developing a database definition for (MySQL/SAP) MaxDB. Here we are also having data types that require a postfix (e.g. VARCHAR (<length>) UNICODE). We could fix the issue for MaxDB by providing a MaxDB-specific DDLGenarator, but we think it could be addressed within DTP.

We are now a bit puzzled how to get this right and have the following questions:

- Should this issue be addressed by database-specific DDL generators (to be provided) for the individual databases or could it be addressed in the GenericDDLGenerator?

- What is the meaning of the properties "displayNameSupported" and "displayName"? Should these properties be evaluated by the GenericDDLGenerator to infix the length parameter?

Could anyone help us with a clarification?

Thanks and best regards,

Adrian

Adrian Görler
SAP AG
Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16
D-69190 Walldorf, Germany
T   +49 6227 747474
http://www.sap.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Walldorf, Germany
Vorstand/SAP Executive Board: Henning Kagermann (Sprecher/CEO), Léo Apotheker (stellvertretender Sprecher/Deputy CEO), Werner Brandt, Claus Heinrich, Gerhard Oswald, Peter Zencke

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairperson of the SAP Supervisory Board: Hasso Plattner
Registergericht/Commercial Register Mannheim No HRB 350269

Back to the top