Re: [dtp-dev] Can we remove the Database node in DSE for DBMS that support catalogs?

I checked with my team and we are okay with removing the database node.   We also think that decorating the default catalog is a good idea.

Some ideas we came up with, though you can take them or leave them, are that either an icon decoration or text decoration such as the word "Default" in parenthesis could be used to indicate the default catalog.   We have no preference either way.  One team member came up with idea of using a small checkbox overlay icon to indicate the default.

Larry Dunnell
RAD Data Tools, DB2 Tooling,  Eclipse WTP Project and Eclipse DTP Project
IBM DB2 Information Management Software

Hui.Cao@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/12/2006 06:22 PM

Please respond to
DTP development mailing list <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [dtp-dev] Can we remove the Database node in DSE for        DBMS        that        support catalogs?

I also think it's nice to know what the default catalog is. The problem is: we can't make the default catalog showing as the parent of all other catalogs. We can use icon decorators to identify the default catalog.

Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
Sybase, Inc. Shanghai, China

rcernich@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/13/2006 09:02 AM

Please respond to
DTP development mailing list <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [dtp-dev] Can we remove the Database node in DSE for DBMS        that        support catalogs?

Hey Hui,

> 2. It's hard to find an appropriate name for it. Using the default
> catalog name is misleading; using the host name just duplicats the

In the context of databases which do support multiple catalogs, I think
it's nice to know what the default catalog is.  How is this misleading and
is the identity of the default (or current) catalog exposed to the user
through any other parts of the tooling?

That said, I don't have a problem removing the node from the display.  I'd
be interested to hear others' opinions on the matter.

Best Regards,
Rob