[dtp-dev] Re: [dtp-connect-dev] Connectivity API review

Hi Rob,
        Do you have any plan to refactor the ConnectionInfo interface to handle multiple databases on a single server? Or does it make sense for model base project to add a "Server" model which holds the "Database" object, which is by now the topmost model defined in SQL Model?

Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
DTP SQL Dev Tools Committer
Sr S/W Eng - Dev
Sybase, Inc. Shanghai, China

rcernich@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: dtp-connect-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/22/2006 01:13 AM

Please respond to
DTP Connectivity project development list <dtp-connect-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

DTP Connectivity project development list <dtp-connect-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [dtp-connect-dev] Connectivity API review

>         As to the API: "IManagedConnection
> getManagedConnection(String type)" defined in IConnectionProfile, do
> we need an additional parameter "String databaseName"? Since a
> connection profile points to a server instead of a specific database.

Hui,

The connection profile is designed to contain all information required to
create a connection.  It was not designed to accept supplemental
information when creating connections.

If you have a specific requirement for accessing a particular database on
the server, I think this should be handled by the interfaces/model used for
accessing database objects (i.e. the CnnectionInfo interface or the base
SQL model).

Regards,
Rob