[dtp-dev] Re: Fw: Exemplary Derby Routine Editor first version is pending to commit

Hi Larry,
        Yes, the delta DDL generator would be very useful for SQL Dev Tools. But what we need most is the Routine and Trigger "DDL generator", which I suppose is called by the delta DDL generator. Once the Derby Catalog loader loads the models, SQL Dev Tools can use the "DDL generator" to get the Routine or Trigger definition for user to edit. Put it another way, in SQL Dev Tools, what user sees in the editor is the DDL, but behind-the-scenes, we're operating on the SQL model. Therefore, the mechanism to synchronize DDL and SQL model is highly desired by SQL Dev Tools.

Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
DTP SQL Dev Tools Committer
Sr S/W Eng - Dev
Sybase, Inc. Shanghai, China

Lawrence E Dunnell <ledunnel@xxxxxxxxxx>

02/21/2006 06:42 AM

Hui.Cao@xxxxxxxxxx
cc
dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, rcernich@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Fw: Exemplary Derby Routine Editor first version is pending to commit

Max,

If your goal is to use the delta DDL generator functionality to push the changes to Derby routines and triggers to the database server, then a delta DDL generator will need to be implemented for Derby first.  The default generic delta DDL generator only handles table and indexes.

If you would still like the details on how to do use delta DDL generation, it will take a while for me to gather the information.  Just let me know.

Larry Dunnell
Internet address: ledunnel@xxxxxxxxxx

Hui.Cao@xxxxxxxxxx

02/20/2006 02:09 AM

rcernich@xxxxxxxxxx, Lawrence E Dunnell/Redmond/IBM@IBMUS
cc
dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Fw: Exemplary Derby Routine Editor first version is pending to commit

Hi Rob,

      Can you please take some time to look into the following bugs:Bug 128396, 128392 and 128394? 128396 just needs one-character change. The other 2 seem to belong to the Derby Catalog loader. I'm not sure who is responsible for this module, so I just forwarded to you. These bugs are critical for the routine editor feature of SQL Dev Tools.

Hi Larry,

      You have mentioned to me before that the SQL model synchorinization is already in WTP's code line:

"The way the synchronization works is that you would make a copy of the model you want to edit.  Edit the model (since the SQL Model is SDO-enabled, a change summary will be generated as the model is edited), then pass the change summary into the Delta DLL Generator and it will generate a DDL script with the necessary CREATE, ALTER, DROP statements, etc. to migrate the change to the server.  This support is already in the WTP codebase."

      Can you please give some further direction as to how and when the feature will be implemented in DTP?

Thanks & Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
DTP SQL Dev Tools Committer
Sr S/W Eng - Dev
Sybase, Inc. Shanghai, China

----- Forwarded by Hui Cao/SYBASE on 02/20/2006 05:20 PM -----
Hui Cao/SYBASE

02/17/2006 09:50 PM

dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Exemplary Derby Routine Editor first version is pending to commit

Hi,

      I was about to commit the exemplary derby routine editor when I found that this feature relies on some modified model base and connectivity code and this checkin would break the build. I've created/updated bug entries for the prerequisite tasks:

Bug 109112: "Needs new attributes (sqlUdfSupported, eventSupported) and class (DebuggerDefinition)" (I've uploaded the patches)

Bug 128396: "ManagedConnection.isConnected() returns wrong value"

      Once the above mentioned bugs have been fixed, I'll proceed with the commit. This feature is still at its crude stage, only being able to show the source code for Derby Trigger. Detailed information can be found in Bug 128392: "Routine.getSource() returns null". As to the "save" function, I expect it can be accomplished in Bug 128394 by connectivity layer: "Lack of means to persist the Routine object back to database". But I'm always glad to discuss it with anyone who don't think so. Thanks!

Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
DTP SQL Dev Tools Committer
Sr S/W Eng - Dev