Re: [dtp-connect-dev] Firebird support in DTP

Hi Roman,

We're very happy to see this interest in DTP from the Firebird community.
In the past there have a number of occasions where people have asked about
this support, so I am sure that it will find an appreciative user base. I
will talk to our committers about your specific questions, and we'll get
back to you soon with some ideas.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.
http://dataplat.blogspot.com/

             Roman Rokytskyy
             <rrokytskyy@yahoo
             .co.uk>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  dtp-connect-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             dtp-connect-dev-b                                          cc
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [dtp-connect-dev] Firebird support
                                       in DTP
             02/18/2007 05:57
             PM

             Please respond to
             DTP Connectivity
                  project
             development list
             <dtp-connect-dev@
               eclipse.org>

Hello,

Let me first introduce myself. I am currently main developer of the
Firebird's JDBC driver (Jaybird) as well as one of the admins of the
Firebird project.

Right now I am trying to add support for Firebird RDBMS to DTP and
experience some problem. The main specifics of the Firebird is that is
does not support schemas. I have created appropriate extensions of the
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.driverExtension extension point and
it works - DTP is able to load and show the database objects.

The next problem are the Data->Sample Contents, Data->Edit and similar
functionality. I have discovered that in many places DTP generates the
qualified name of the table by using schemaName + "." + tableName
ignoring the "Schema supported" setting in the corresponding XMI-file.

At this point I have started checking whether I can override the
functionality by creating my own plugin that would reuse existing DTP
code and override some methods (e.g. TableDataEditor.initDbOutputItem()).

I have subclassed the ProfileActionsActionProvider and the
DataSourceExplorerView classes and configured the appropriate extension
points in the plugin. However, I experience one problem - my custom view
contains the registered profile nodes, but when I connect to the
database, the tree content is updated in the original DSE view, not in
my customized one. I have spent some time to solve the issue, but with
no success.

Now it is time to ask questions :)

a) is there any way to tell DTP not to use schema when computing
qualified names without directly modifying the DTP sources?

b) assuming that overriding those methods is the only possibility to
solve the issue, where can I get help about subclassing/customizing the
DSE and related classes?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Roman Rokytskyy