Re: [dtp-connect-dev] Adding Support for Filtering

What kinds of filters are we talking about?

I see two kinds. The kind that filter what data is loaded by the catalog
loader and the kind that filter the information that is brought back.

For example, we may have a multiple-schema database that we only want to
see the "DBA" schema for. We set up the connection to go ahead and filter
based on that property.

But after the fact, while I'm working on the information that's pulled
back, I may only want to look for stored procedures that start with "SP_",
so I add a filter that handles that.

And in fact I see a third kind of filter that would completely change the
way the catalog loader populates the information. This third type would
possibly just bring back specific levels of items from the model. Maybe we
only want to see a list of databases available for a given connection and
nothing below them. Or maybe we want to see a list of all stored procedures
or tables available for a given database, regardless of what schema they
may belong to.

I think the first kind (let's call it a connection filter) seems to fall
into the category that you are proposing. And I can see the third kind of
filter also falling into that category.

The second kind of filter should simply be available from a Filters dialog
on the view and the user should be able to add multiple levels of filters
like they could do in the WST viewer.

I apologize if this muddies the water a bit, but I think we're dealing with
more than a single type of "filter" for the DBE.

Thanks.
--Fitz

Brian Fitzpatrick
Senior Software Engineer/DTP Committer
Sybase, Inc.
e-mail: brianf@xxxxxxxxxx

             rcernich@sybase.c
             om
             dtp-connect-dev-b         dtp-connect-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       [dtp-connect-dev] Adding Support
             01/30/2006 08:21          for Filtering
             PM

             Please respond to
             DTP Connectivity
                  project
             development list
             <dtp-connect-dev@
               eclipse.org>

Hey all,

Just wanted to run this proposal past you all.

To the generic connection profile...
Add properties to the DB connection profile which specify filter
properties.
Add a property to store then enablement state of the filter (e.g. on or
off).

To the UI...
Expose these properties to the user through a wizard page in the new wizard
and a property page in the properties dialog.

To the driver definition...
Add a property to the driver definitions to store a default filter setting
(if possible).
Add a property to the driver definitions to specify the default enablement.

The filter would be set on the ConnectionInfo object at the time of
creation depending on the enablement status.

We may need to improve the way property notifications are handled by the
framework.  It would be nice if the modification notification highlighted
specific properties that changed.  This would be necessary so the model
could be updated in response to filter property or filter enablement
changes.

Let me know what you think.
Rob